[permaculture] Southwestern U.S. Greenhouse

Arlene skywatcheraz at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 28 19:48:27 EST 2003

Hi all,

I just joined the list and am hoping to get some ideas on solar
greenhouse design in the Southwestern United States. I live in Tucson,
Arizona. We have very hot, dry summers, with temperatures hitting
100-110 degrees F for much of the summer and mild winters with
occasional night temperatures below freezing.  We have lots of sun
year-round but can't grow tropical plants outdoors due to the low winter
temperatures and the hot, dry winds of the summer. The biggest challenge
seems to be moderating the heat in the summer. Conventional greenhouse
design tends to overheat the plants. We plan to use evaporative cooling
but wonder about other strategies to control temperature extremes. Does
anyone have experience with greenhouses in this type of climate?

Thanks,
Arlene