[permaculture] worm troubles

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Fri Dec 19 19:59:29 EST 2003

In a message dated 12/19/2003 3:09:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
clearned at bminet.com writes:
> However all toilets need to be vented as the air is displaced when the
> waste enters the filter basin. Venting indoors requires me to run a vent stack to
> the sky. So here lies my problem 0 degree temperatures dropping down ontop
> of the worms.

Dear Chuck--

This may be simplistic, but how about putting a hinged pot-lid on your vent
stack? You may have to attach a penny or two as a counterweight, but if you get
the lid to lift open with a slight positive pressure from below, it should
work just fine-- keeping normally in the closed position. This is how they solve
the problem with furnace vents.

Mike Elvin