[permaculture] Genetic modification

Jay Woods woodsjay at cox.net
Mon Dec 8 08:56:35 EST 2003

This substance of this article depends solely on a single reference. It
was to an article in July 2000 GeneWatch (not Gene Watch) by Susan
Wright, science historian at the University of Michigan.

The archive of GeneWatch shows:

    http://www.gene-watch.org/genewatch/archives.html
    No. 3: July 2000 Special Issue: The Human Genome Project

The table of contents are not listed this far back online.  An attempt
was made against the National Library of Medicine (Entrez) on a query of
'genewatch 2000':

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/query.fcgi?SUBMIT=y
    Four articles were listed covering pages 1-9, none by Susan Wright.
    No abstracts were available.
    A search in Entrez on 'Susan Wright' had no publications related to
    GeneWatch.

A search in google on 'susan wright 1976' turned up:

    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~spwright/SUSAN_cv.html
    The CV should have listed such a publication. A page search for
    'watch' turned up nothing.
    She has been active in this area of historical research for many years.

It is likely that the article referenced doesn't exist. A visual
inspection of the GeneWatch July 2000 issue would shed more light on
this. Look especially for a reference to one of Susan Wright's many
publications.