[permaculture] Plant id...

ahenne at uga.edu ahenne at uga.edu
Sat Apr 26 12:08:15 EDT 2003

---------Included Message----------
>Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:39:18 -0700
>From: "BK" <lildragon at saber.net>
>To: "permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org>
>Subject: [permaculture] Plant id...
>
>Hi folks,
>
>A neighbor has this interesting plant which I hear is edible. I believe
it
>originates from Asia, and seems to do quite well in my SF Bay Area
climate.
>If anyone can id it, and has any info on its ediblity that'd be great.
>The URLs are:
>http://www.saber.net/~lildragon/unnamedplant1.jpg
>http://www.saber.net/~lildragon/unnamedplant2.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, but it looks like Japanese knotweed to me.  Shoots
and young leaves are apparently edible, steamed like asparagus.  It also
grows extremely fast and sets up a root system that can crack concrete,
so be careful to keep it contained.  Of course, I could be completely
wrong....
adam