[permaculture] Re: Elaeagnus

Scott Pittman pci at permaculture-inst.org
Sat Apr 19 19:13:11 EDT 2003

My experience in New Mexico, USA is that it does indeed sprout from the
root and is extremely hard to eradicate.  It is taking over riparian areas
in New Mexico, and because it is bird born it is very difficult to control
its spread.  Birds love the berries.  It out competes and shades out our
other riparian species which is a problem.

Not to join the native plant fascists I would like to say that in many
places, where riparian species are dependent on flooding and the silting of
seed for germination we have lost the natives due to damming and other
mindless human intervention.  In those cases it seems that both Russian
Olive and another exotic Salt cedar are the only plants that recolonize
those eroding waterways.  In my case I want to establish different basket
willows in a wetlands and am constantly fighting Elaeagnus.

They do make good browse for goats, and I would suspect browsing cattle,
like Highland.

Scott Pittman