[permaculture] Afghanistan redux

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Sep 24 11:05:00 EDT 2002

At 11:48 AM 9/24/02 +1000, you wrote:
>It might be interesting to see how long the war continues. The Iraqis,
>unlike remnant Taliban and El Queda in Afghanistan, seem ready to fight a
>conventional war of the type the US is trained and equipped to fight.
>Firepower and the destruction of hard targets are at the core of this type
>of conflict (remember the UN assault on Serbia by US and NATO a few years
>ago) so that should put the US in a better position than were they
>confronting guerrilla or militia units ('assymetric warfare' - remember
>Somalia, Vietnam and, possibly, Afghanistan to come).

I quite concerned that it will look a lot like Somalia, urban war in Iraq
could get very ugly indeed.  I happen to know one of the fellas who went
through the 93 fire fight in Mogadishu and he's pretty skeptical of any
forces ability to successfully fight in a civilian urban area without
committing serious atrocities.

>The Australian media is doing a good job carrying the public discussion
>around Iraq and commentators in the newspapers, radio, television and
>online news services point out the immense uncertainties facing the US and
>its allies, the likely Israeli response to a WMD attach by Iraq and the
>uncertainties in the Arab world that could flow from a war... it's those
>which will go on for years, perhaps... especially if the US does not take
>a stronger stand on ending the Israel-Palestine conflict, which could to
>some extent moderate reaction.

If you follow the right wing happy talk the whole Arab world will roll over
into democracy and the A/I conflict will suddenly get easy to solve.  What
farcical bullshit.  Anyone got a nice PC project they need help on in
Ireland, Mexico, Canada or really anywhere but the united states?  I really
don't want to pay taxes for this.

>Russ Grayson
>Sydney, Australia

Mark P. Ludwig