[permaculture] Afghanistan redux

PacificEdge pacedge at magna.com.au
Mon Sep 23 21:48:42 EDT 2002

Mark P. Ludwig
Poultry Research Lab
University of Wisconsin -Madison....

On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 01:06  AM, Mark wrote:

>> Incidentally, media surveys indicate that something over 70% of
>> Australians oppose supporting actively the US in any action against
>> Iraq outside UN auspices. And this morning's (Saturday) Sydney Morning
>> Herald headline "Bush: how I'll rule the world" isn't likely to change
>> that situation-www.smh.com.au (the article response to Dubya's
>> document published last night Sydney time which can be found in full
>> at: www.nytimes.com)

>> ...Russ Grayson
>
> Interesting.  Oz being an imagrint society like the USA seems to share
> some of our orientation to military action more than Europe.

This is partly due to our geographic situation - Australia is a nation
of dominately European people (there's around 2% indigenous Aboriginal
people) very close to the world's largest Moslem population (Indonesia)
which thankfully is moderate Islam (although there are small elements of
fundamental Islam - some of which could have been responsible for
yesterday's failed attack on a US consular residence - the bomber blew
his leg off) and facing the vastness of both the Pacific and Indian
oceans.

The Second World War also influenced Australian thinking and those years
have been formative in contemporary Australian history. Faced by
Japanese aggression with a small population, Australia gained the
support of the US (Australia was the first to gain victory over Japan -
that was in PNG) and the Aust-US alliance was an outcome of these years
as Australia felt vulnerable as a European nation in Asia.

This has produced what you describe as our 'orientation to military
action', but it is an orientation that engenders considerable public
debate. For instance, as I stated in the first paragraph above, the
prospect of sending even a small special forces detachment (that is all
the country has available-our combined military apparatus totals only
around 30 000-35 000; this is why quality rather than quantity has been
a training principle in the Australian military) to do interdiction and
recognaissance work in Iraq is the subject of deep public discourse.

Stimulating Australian confidence has been the successful military
peacekeeping intervention in East Timor, which continues today and
consumes much of the country's military focus. Australian troops faced
down Indonesia's military and negotiated its withdrawal. There were no
Australian casualties and the operation opened the space necessary for
political moves towards peace and for civil society initiatives.

And yes, Australia is an immigrant society with around 20% of the
population tracing its ancestry overseas over recent generations.

>  Nice to see they aren't getting on board with WWIII.  Really getting
> scary in this country.  We'll see how long it takes to for average
> Americans to connect the dots and realize we are on the verge of years
> of hot war, and what they say then.

It might be interesting to see how long the war continues. The Iraqis,
unlike remnant Taliban and El Queda in Afghanistan, seem ready to fight
a conventional war of the type the US is trained and equipped to fight.
Firepower and the destruction of hard targets are at the core of this
type of conflict (remember the UN assault on Serbia by US and NATO a few
years ago) so that should put the US in a better position than were they
confronting guerrilla or militia units ('assymetric warfare' - remember
Somalia, Vietnam and, possibly, Afghanistan to come).

The Australian media is doing a good job carrying the public discussion
around Iraq and commentators in the newspapers, radio, television and
online news services point out the immense uncertainties facing the US
and its allies, the likely Israeli response to a WMD attach by Iraq and
the uncertainties in the Arab world that could flow from a war... it's
those which will go on for years, perhaps... especially if the US does
not take a stronger stand on ending the Israel-Palestine conflict, which
could to some extent moderate reaction.

Russ Grayson
Sydney, Australia