[permaculture] Re: Localized Plant DB

Scott Hitchins ScottH at wcig.org.au
Wed Sep 11 00:40:49 EDT 2002

In regards to providing information on plants for differing regions; You have probably seen schemes that give different numbers or colours to various generalised 'zones' (non-permie usage) of entire countries; many books and seed packets use simple or more complex systems that are generally useful........but take no account of microclimate, elevation, soil-moisture, pH etc, etc. How 'bout a system that does take these into account and pretty much ignores zones (except real permie ones).  It seems to me that it would be fairly simple to set-up a cross-referencing system like the plants for a future database, but with the necessary parameters set by rigorous debate amongst ourselves; once established, it would be very simple to add to it Wikki-style.  You would then just need to know the parameters of where you want to plant and what jobs the plant must perform: enter these details and generate a list of suitable plants.  I realise there are already a few of these databases around, but they don't quite get there permaculture-wise or  with wikki-wise accessibility that gives them the ability to evolve.

Regards,
Scott Hitchins.

erent-----Original Message-----