[permaculture] "thirsty " trees....

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sun Sep 8 12:24:31 EDT 2002

At 07:21 AM 9/7/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Interesting...
>So many observations leading to opposing viewpoints....
>Sometimes I wonder whether we aren't missing a huge piece of the puzzle. I'm
>just reading a whole bunch of bio-dynamics stuff and my mind is opening to
>other
>possibilities.

To me this points to multiple possible fundamental different permacultures
rather than the one true design.

>What if...water had an affinity for certain plants, but not others?  We know
>about allelopathic effects of plants, we know that many organisms produce
>hydrophobic substances.....

I think its more simple than that.  Three factors - 1 rate of rainfall
infiltration influenced by soil type, slope and vegetation and 2 rate of
transpiration, 3 deep soil factors like underlying rock or deep clay lenses.

>What if.... it's just an "energy thing" and has nothing at all to do with the
>vegetation? The Chinese call it "Feng-shui", Steiner calls it the "formative
>etheric forces"....

Hmmm.  To much for the barbarians....

>One of the books I just read is "Secrets of the Soil" by Thompkins and Bird.
>Can't pretend I understand everything they talk about, but that just makes it
>all the more intriguing. There is so much we can't explain with our current
>scientific models.  I know that my own view of nature is still mostly
>mechanic,
>although I've always thought of myself as a "spiritual" person. Interesting
>incongruity.
>
>Heide

Read SOS years ago.  Interesting but a little far out and esoteric.  I
think we do a whole lot better to focus on what soil science does know and
add on BD, energy theorys etc. as secondary practices.