[permaculture] PC Wiki! - up and running, barebones mode

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Sat Sep 7 22:04:17 EDT 2002

Mitra wrote:
> This is a nice page, it inspired me to look at uploading some things
> I've written ..

Use cut and paste of plain ascii text into your wiki page for now.

> But .... when I poked around in the "How To Wiki", it appears you have
> to use Wiki's own bizarre formatting scheme, rather than HTML.  Has

Its not that bizarre; is easier than html, actually, but much simpler
and offers much less formatting. But the benefits of wiki can never be equalled
by html, so there's a tradeoff. Read the docs about wiki and ones written by the authors
of the wiki software we are using, phpwiki. They say that the admin can authorize using html
code but recommends against it for a variety of reasons. Better to concentrate on building content
in the wiki than to worry about giving it an html appearance. I will ask the ibiblio admins what
they think about using html code and if they say its OK I will authorize the use of it.
So first, RTFM or just read the online wiki docs and users guides. Start at wikipedia then look at
phpwiki docs. wikipedia uses some other software scripting.

> anyone figured out how to upload HTML files?

It won't work until it is authorized, I will inquire about it next week.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl at intrex.net