[permaculture] Re: big ag in PC

Mark mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Sep 2 09:51:31 EDT 2002

At 06:47 AM 8/30/02 -0700, you wrote:
>On Friday 30 August 2002 10:47 am, you wrote:
> > You assume these are mutually exclusive.  IMO they are not.  The fastest
> > way to increase PC acreage is by moving "industrial ag" in our
> > direction.  This will take time and no doubt will not satisfy PC purists.
>
>What is a Pc purist?
>
>Isn't this just a question of how we define Pc.
>I've always viewed it as a design system based upon
>ecology and sustainability.  You can't design without
>an objective and for Pc the objective seems clear.  If
>we believe in this definition then i would think most of
>us would be uncomfortable with industrial ag.  Does this
>make us purists?
>
>jeff

Possibly, I should let folks label themselves.   I try to point out to
folks that compromise, imperfection and resistance to change are all par
for the course in the real world.  I saver every tiny victory that makes
the place more sustainable and firmly believe that it will be these small
steps that will get us to a better future.  Furthermore a 10% improvemt on
millions of acres have more net impact than a 100% improvement on a few
hundred.