[permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter. - Chilling Tools & Bulldog Tools

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lfl at intrex.net
Thu Oct 31 06:11:06 EST 2002

Rick Valley wrote:
> If I have less than 4 acres to deal with, I don't use power equipment unless
> there's someone close who'll do it for hire, cheap.

> I'd first get the Gobo I didn't want with an Irish brush hook.

Bulldog Tools makes an Irish Brush Hook
You will have to get a printed catalog to see it
http://www.bulldogtools.co.uk/home.html
A Division of American Tool Companies
  Clarington Forge
  Wigan, Lancs. WN1 3DD
  UK
  Tel: (01942) 44281
  Fax: (01942) 824316

  BULLDOG TOOLS
  Division of Record Tools
  Parkway Works
  Kettlebridge Road
  Sheffield
  S9 3BL

  Telephone: 0114-2449066
  Fax: 01142-561788
  Tel: 01142-449066 Fax: 01142-434302
  e-mail:sales at recordtools.co.uk
  web:www.bulldogtools.co.uk
  Our Products
    All Season
    Bulldog
    Evergreen
    Premier

BULLDOG TOOLS have been made at Clarington Forge in Wigan for over 200 years.
Seven generations of Farmers, Contractors and Professional Landscapers stand
testimony to a quality of product upon which their livelyhoods depended. The
skill and craftsmanship that were the key to the company's success in those
early days are still maintained and are available to you today, in the products
you will find in this web site.
All products are fully guaranteed against faulty workmanship and material

Available from:
James Cooksons
Cheshire, UK
FREEPHONE, In UK: 0800 458 5752
FAX: +44 (161) 480 8579
(Maybe someone from the UK in the PC List could phone Cooksons and find out
their overseas telephone number and post that to the list. Graham?)
cooksons.com ltd.
Armstrong House
Swallow Street
Stockport
Cheshire
SK1 3LG
United Kingdom
Cooksons carries all Bulldog tools and will do mail order to the USA
http://www.cooksons.com/store/browse.php3?section=14&level=2
http://www.cooksons.com

For more info and reviews of Bulldog Tool see:
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/tradesecrets.htm

Other sources for Bulldog Tools, Spear and Jackson Tools and more:

Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
http://www.groworganic.com
http://www.groworganic.com/a/a.html?sCategory=117
P.O. Box 2209, Grass Valley, CA 95945
Tel:(530) 272-4769 • Order Toll Free (888) 784-1722
Email:contact at groworganic.com

Smith & Hawken 800/776-3336  800-9401170  http://www.smith-hawken.com
http://www.smithandhawken.com/jhtml/site/catalog/Category.jhtml;$sessionid$HN0UWGYAABLPNUPWC0SXBM4R4YLKY2G4?CATID=68&PARENTCATID=16

Gardener's Supply Co.  800/863-1700   http://www.gardeners.com
http://www.naturalgardening.com/cgi-bin/shop/S-Mart.cgi?command=listitems&type=group&pos=0&pg=tools&group=garden
See the Swwiss-made (60' handle X 6" head) 4-prong cultivator and the long
handled spade and long-handled fork (Bulldog)
phone (707) 766-9303  FAX: (707) 766-9747

Order by mail: P.O. Box 750776, Petaluma, CA 94975-0776.
This is the article in Taunton's "Kitchen Garden" magazine
with a review of the Broadfork from Peaceful Valley Farm Supply
that I mentioned in an earlier post, also covers the old
Smith & Hawken 3-tine grub eyehoe which is now available in a modified
format from Hida Tool (http://www.hidatool.com - 800/443-5512) as their "Farmer
Rake" also Bulldog spades and forks.
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00011.asp
For more articles in Kitchen Garden (no longer in print) see:
http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/fg_feat_kitchgard.asp

Seeds of Change
http://www.seedsofchange.com/catalog/tool.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/bulrectool.html
Record Tools North America (Canada, wholesale)

The Bulldog heavy-duty digging spade, spade fork and digging fork are three
basic tools for a raised bed gardener

> Then I'd take my brush scythe to the rest.

This is the best and most complete scythe dealer in the USA:
Scythe Supply
http://www.scythesupply.com/
they offer several types of brush and ditch scythes and well as the grass/grain
types

> A Swede axe is good on small trees.

Gransfors is a brand that comes to mind though there are others, available from:

Garrett Wade or Lee Valley Tools

Also: Ralph Martindale & Co., Ltd.
Wonderful machetes, like you've never seen before - you can do an amazing lot of
clearing with a good machete: grasses, woody weeds, cornstalks, saplings, trees
http://www.ralphmartindale.co.uk/ralphmartindale/latinamerica1.html
See my Gardening Handtool Sourcelist:
http://market-farming.com/gardening-hand-tools.faq for contact info
for RM, Ltd. - also Crocodile USA/www.karnaf.com, the Chillington/Ralph
Martindale Ltd. USA Representative will import these tools for you;
Contact: Ilan Segura  ilan at karnaf.com   408-888-7478   Santa Clara, Calif.
Website: (these tools are in stock in their US warehouse:)
http://tools.karnaf.com/products.html
Importer of Ralph Martindale machetes and Chillington eye hoes, spades and forks

--
L.F.London
lfl at intrex.net
http://market-farming.com