[permaculture] Allan needs advice on selecting a brush cutter.

Rick Valley bamboogrove at cmug.com
Thu Oct 31 01:09:39 EST 2002

If I have less than 4 acres to deal with, I don't use power equipment unless
there's someone close who'll do it for hire, cheap.

1 acre of former garden?

I'd first get the Gobo I didn't want with an Irish brush hook.
Then I'd take my brush scythe to the rest.
A Swede axe is good on small trees.

I especially dislike rotary mowers because the chop isn't very easy to
gather for mulch or compost.

Nonetheless, I've been checking into DR's for a client with 20 acres; the
smallest commercial duty one now is 10 or 11 horse, @ $1800. A BCS tiller
with a sickle bar ain't no slouch at heavy weeds, and you can pick it all up
pretty easily later...

I do have a commercial duty Honda mower w/bag; I like it alot.
It keeps paths and such nice & short and gathers nifty mulch.
I used to have a Stihl brush cutter; I sold it. Scythes mo' betta.
I do like those Stihl promo calendars tho: I have some kind of thing for
beautiful women in gumboots, raingear, with chainsaws and brushcutters.
*sigh*

I am wary of using phrases like "clean up" in regards to vegetation. It was
dirty?

-Rick
on a 10 acre house-sit