[permaculture] Re: Where you from?

Kelly Finigan kfinigan at telus.net
Tue Oct 29 13:35:36 EST 2002

Rob:

Not everybody else has tens of acres. My home is a very inner city townhouse
(2 blocks from the oil company headquarters towers) of 720 sq ft.

Backyard is 12ft by 20 ft. In front, I am turning the driveway into planter
boxes with trellis and pergola, the front lawn [a wedge about 25 feet long
tapering from 20 feet to nothing]and boulevard [about 8 feet wide by 20 feet
long between sidewalk and road] are shared with a neighbour who gladly gave
us permission to sheet mulch. We are turning the back into a forest garden
(4 dwarf espalier apples on the north side, dwarf sour cherry, elderberry,
currant, nannyberry, rhubarb, comfrey, lots of perennial flowers) with a
small roof catchment pond and herb spiral, mushrooms under the deck (in
shade).

The front raised beds are for annual vegetables and climbers, next year I am
thinking of installing a "vertical aquaponics" system (see
www.bagelhole.org) on the driveway too. The front "lawn" areas are becoming
a "savannah of perennial vegetables (asparagus, sea kale, onions, etc),
herbs and edible flowers with a few dwarf apple trees (there is an existing
30 ft green ash that shades part of the area).

Oh, we also don't own the land (housing cooperative) so we have to consider
all this kind of temporary (if we leave, the next folks may not want it...)

so, don't feel bad about your bit of land...it sounds quite big to me! (not
to mention less severe winters, adequate rainfall and longer growing season)

cheers,
Kelly

Kelly Finigan, M.Sc. P.Eng., Permaculture Designer
Essential Elements Inc.
744 - 4 Street NW       Calgary, Alberta, Canada         T2N 1P2
1-403-283-7270           fax 283-9783     kfinigan at telus.net