[permaculture] Re: permaculture digest, Vol 1 #370 - 15 msgs

johnny gregory johnnyg8 at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 28 11:21:07 EST 2002

Hi, Keith,

     I was glad to see your post and glad so much in NC is happening with
permaculture. I want to get more up to speed. I'll check out your website
for sure. Thanks for sharing what you've learned with everybody!

    I've been an organic gardener with tennis court-sized gardens a number
of years and last summer got a new farm which will have about 5-10 acres of
growing area. Here's my plan as I was telling our friend, Treesa..

On my farm I want to have:
- edible fruit and nut trees and Paulownias on about 24' centers for partial
shade and better moisture in a microclimate for intercropping...
- organic veggies and herbs
- organic flowers
- organic mushrooms in the forest (have to learn how to cultivate- have
plenty of logs)

  I want to have some keyline water swales (I have an old track loader with
5 scarifier teeth (rippers) which will rip open the soil about 14" deep) on
slopes (not too hilly) to keep water from cascading down the hills vs.
saturating the soil.

  I did a little volunteering a few times at Timberlake Farm near Greensboro
on a permaculture garden and pond. It was fun.

  Thanks to everyone on this list as I'm a newbie with lots to learn.

Your friend in Greensboro,

Johnny Gregory