[permaculture] Where/How to start

Mark Ludwig mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 27 22:51:40 EST 2002

At 12:26 PM 10/27/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I think my biggest hurdle to turning this old ranch into a self sustaining
>permaculture, that I can leave to my grandchildren, is actually knowing
>where to start.  I think it would be  much easier to start with a bare
>piece of land rather than having to live with someone else's mistakes
>while you are trying to repair and redesign everything.
>Margaret SW Oregon

I think there is a lot of truth to that, especially if things are run down
and demand lots of time.  A place with lots of buildings in good repair and
70% open land, 25% woods and 5% water is perfect.

One thing I noted with your operation were several small animal
enterprises.  You might try to drop the number of species down and expand
one of the enterprises, especially if the grazing would help knock down
invasive brush.  Often the larger enterprise takes about the same amount of
time as the little one did, and may even take less time if it lets you can
justify getting better equipment.
Mark