[permaculture] electric fence?

Mark Ludwig mpludwig at facstaff.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 27 22:15:07 EST 2002

At 08:31 AM 10/27/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
> >>  Shouldn't be too hard to set something up that you could raise as the
>tree grew, possibly with some offset wires to cover the trees as they
>spread.  <<
>
>A good thought.  I'm curious now about power sources (p.v.?) and costs.

PV energizers are available from all major manufacturers, 110v gets you
more power and could have features like a computer that adjusts voltage out
put to compensate for weed load and a remote control that will turn the
fencer off through the wire for about $1000 US.  Output is listed in
joules, 6 or better controls almost anything.   I strongly recommend buying
a good quality low impedance type  charger if you are getting into electric
fence and plenty of ground rods (1- 2.5 meter/ 8 foot rod per 2
joules).  This and good attention to detail when installing a fence make it
a pleasure to use and a real time saver.

>Also what about some sort of distracting cover crop?  What's preffered
>browse for deer - briar?

Deer are creatures of the edge in the ecosystem, and PC makes lots of edge
type habitat.  I think we simply need to design for them and use fence
and/or dogs to keep them off some things.  Eating them makes a lot of sense
too.  The cover crops may well end up balancing their diet of browse and
make the area more attractive.  Certainly any plan bears watching.

>We put out lots of crimson clover and grain crops and it really kept the
>rabbits and grass hoppers off of our fruit trees.  Those trees standing
>alone (i.e. in one of our wicks) were hammered by leaf-hoppers.
>
>Kirby

I had a row of buckwheat and white clover running with the trees.  This
really seemed to keep the pest insects down, I think by providing a good
nectar source for predatory insects.  Any one have nice red flowered
buckwheat seed or large variety?
Mark