[permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [NAFEX] re: shade for blackberries]

Paul J Foster pj_foster at uk.ibm.com
Wed Oct 23 11:43:41 EDT 2002

Is this something that can be grown in the UK?

|---------+------------------------------------>
|         |           "Jerome Osentowski"      |
|         |           <jerome at crmpi.org>       |
|         |           Sent by:                 |
|         |           permaculture-admin at lists.|
|         |           ibiblio.org              |
|         |                                    |
|         |                                    |
|         |           10/23/02 04:36 PM        |
|         |           Please respond to        |
|         |           permaculture             |
|         |                                    |
|---------+------------------------------------>
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [NAFEX] re: shade for blackberries]                          |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The Siberian pea  is the one we use the most here in our forest garden.  we
have over 100 planted some over 15 yreas.  we also have 10 other nft's that
work at our 7200 ft  site ,but the pea shrub is the most agressive and
produces lots of fodder for chickens and rabbits.  We coppice for mulch and
feed.  the anamals love the leaves and rabbits eat the bark.  lots of
minerals.  I have six varites of the pea shrub to use in different garden
designs.  ONe is collamer.  We also plant it around our strawyard for shade
and food for the chickens.  I will be trying out another dozen types in the
new 60' greenhouse forest garden design.  In Calgary they used it in the
ond
wind brakes, it grows 20' tall they also used it to grind up and put in
bread to increase  the protien content.    jerome
--
Jerome Osentowski, Director
Central Rocky Mountain Permaculture Institute

Tel/fax (970) 927-4158    E mail: jerome at crmpi.org

For more information, please visit our web site at <<www.crmpi.org>>