[permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [NAFEX] re: shade for blackberries]

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Wed Oct 23 00:37:40 EDT 2002

In the interview I did with Bill Mollison last year, he talked about
the relationship between African Box Thorn  (Lycium ferrocissimum) and
chickens as well as a Coprosma.  He never mentioned Caragana though,
unless something got confused in the transcription. As you can imagine
it was a bit of a challenge.  I've pasted the passage below. The
complete interview is at
http://store.yahoo.com/seedsofchange/25enewsletter.html#Mollison

Regards to all,

Scott Vlaun

P.S, Just returned from Bioneers Conference and heard and great
presentation from Ali Shariff. He is doing wonderful Pc stuff in
Brazil. www.permacultura.org.br/ipec if you can read portuguese.

  I wondered . . . these chickens aren't eating one handful of wheat,
that's not going to do it. She had them running in amongst two plants:
one was called Coprosma, it's a New Zealand shiny leaf creeping plant
immune to sea winds and things, and it has crop after crop of berries
during the year; it's always got green berries or ripe berries or new
berries or something. Each berry has two seeds that you could easily
mistake for two grains of wheat. So it's a continual wheat producer as
far as chickens are concerned; they think it's wheat and they eat it.
So even one Coprosma bush was feeding dozens more chickens than my
grandmother. And the other plant she had planted because of the sea
winds was in the Solanum family. It's got huge thorns. It's called
African Box Thorn. It's a Lycium. It's a frightfully thorny thing. But
in cool climates it doesn't spread; you put it in and there it grows;
it grows to about 15 feet across and 15 feet high. It's a dome, and it
stops there forever. We've had hedges of it for more than 200 years in
northern Tasmania. It always has flowers, green berries, and ripe
berries and the chickens love it. It's in the Solanacae so there's like
millions of little tomatoes falling all the time. When a chook
(chicken) is going to lay eggs and rear chicks she walks in underneath
the box thorns, makes a nest, lays her eggs and sits under the box
thorns because nothing, no hawks, no dogs, nothing can get her in
there. Then come the chicks and they don't leave that shelter because
the berries are the perfect size for little chickens. They eat them
until they're quite well fledged, and out they come in the open air and
then hawks get one or two of them. If they're in trouble, they run into
the box thorns, so it's ideal food and shelter.

So, she had these two plants and none other, and yet, they fed 85
chickens within 50 yards of her chicken house, so I could say you
didn't have to buy wheat to grow chickens. And her eggs were very good
eggs. I later discovered there's some New Zealanders who grew their
chickens on three species of Coprosma. I never saw the other species.
That's all they ever feed them.