[permaculture] Water & Soil Testing

permed at nor.com.au permed at nor.com.au
Fri Oct 18 06:04:10 EDT 2002

>After studying and appreciating permaculture for 2 years, I'm ready to look
>for land to purchase.  Critical concern is purity of water source and soil.
>Please recommend labs that handle testing, and what, in total, is a list of
>contaminants to test for? Also wondering how much this might cost.

Hi John
There's a lot of diffent tests - each group of chemicals has its own
specific test which can get quite costly. Best to ask former owners
and/or neighbours what the land has been used for and what chemicals were
used (or mostly commonly used for that type of crop). Example: here in
our region if a property was once a banana farm one checks for arsnic
residues, ex-sugarcane land one checks for organophosphates etc.

With my organic certification the inspector takes foliar samples and they
get tested - much cheaper than testing the soil (still it's around $200).
You might contact your local/national certification bodies and see what
they do and which labs they use.
hope this is help
Robyn