[permaculture] Re: Pond Plantings...invasives

Marimike6 at cs.com Marimike6 at cs.com
Wed Oct 9 13:10:43 EDT 2002

Dear Claude (Genest)----

I've been following your plan to stock your pond with zebra mussels and think
it would make a great experiment to see what they will do. Theory sort of
requires that they stop multiplying when they've reached equilibrium with
their food source.

I suspect that what they do is eat stuff that no one else wants to eat. In
the Caspian, where they come from, they have been in equilibrium for
millennia and are not a problem. In the northern States and Canada they are a
terrible problem because their uneaten food has built up for those same
millennia and they are busily trying to get up to the task of chowing it all
down. Once they do they'll get back to a more reasonable density.

In the meantime the municipalities have a problem because they clog the
intakes and outflows of all their water & sewer pipes. I assume you don't
have that problem in your pond. Also, you don't yet have an ecology to
disrupt. Start with the zebras, or with any other filter feeders you can find
that will keep your water clean.

If you do have the pond fill up with mussels, sell them to the Highway
Department. They can crush them up and use them to make road bed.

Mike in Fuquay