[permaculture] Black Locusts, more....

Heide Hermary heidehermary at pacificcoast.net
Mon Oct 7 15:04:43 EDT 2002

It does depend on the climate and soil conditions
Here in the Pacific Northwest red cedar (Thuja plicata) will stand up
really well - unprotected by chemicals - as long as it is not in direct
soil contact. It can last for decades, depending on the thickness of the
material. However in soil contact, with our high precipitation rate and
warm climate, it rots within a few years.

Many years ago I installed a fence at my parents' place in Northern
Germany, literally pure sand soil, using untreated pine posts set
directly into the ground.I did this on my father's instructions, against
my "better judgement".  No sign of rot at all.
Heide