[permaculture] Gopher control - RATS !

Claude Genest genest at together.net
Sun Aug 11 01:52:46 EDT 2002

I had quite a preponderance of rats accumulatiing on my property over the
last two years.... They were loving the availability of organic chicken
food... I decided to take a "wait and see approach" figuring that if there
was an abundance of prey it would inevitably attract a predator....

So, I kept looking up - figuring there would soon come a saviour from the
sky - owl, eagle, hawk, falcon.... The one day I looked down - Yeehah !
Biggest Gartner snake I ever saw ( used to catch them as a kid )..... ( see
pic)
Now I began to watch the snake interact with my chickens  - figured he was a
goner for sure, but he held his own ( no, I didn't check his sex...) ....
Then I watched how the snake goes into the rat's layer and awaits their
return.... Rat problem now under control !

New dilemma: haven't seen the snakes in a while, wonder what's eating them ?

Claude