garlic- to trim or not to trim...

megan seiler logboy at burnett.net.au
Tue May 29 15:31:58 EDT 2001

Graham,

I  have been told to harvest the common garlic plant when the tops dry
before the flower(that is so pretty)  starts to form  otherwise your
garlic cloves will not keep for very long. This stands to reason I
suppose because when the plant flowers it has put all of its reserve
energy into that form of reproduction. I have heard that you should
reduce the leaves should the plant have too much nitrogen in the soil
and go mad

I have just planted (6 weeks ago) half an acre of the stuff -so I hope
I'm right !
Megan