[Fwd: Purple Power - RealAge Tip of the Day]

Georg Parlow s+l2 at nextra.at
Tue Apr 4 11:18:07 EDT 2000

At 21:39 03.04.00 -0700, you wrote:
>or through other tax-funded research, I feel an obligation to defy patent
>laws. When I get the seeds, I'll give them away to whoever wants them. Of
>course, if the second generation still doesn't taste good, I won't grow
>them again! I'm assuming that these purple carrots are simply the result of
>classical breeding, but I would like to know for sure that they're not in
>any way genetically modified.

way to go! you propably know this, but for everyones bvenefit please let me
repeat some advice: assuming that this is an 'ordinary' breed (not
genetically engineered) it still is a very young breed - which means that
it can impossibly be stable yet. or in other words: a fairly high
percentage will not come true to parent, which isnt a proble as long as we
know and keep rigidly culling our seedstock. over the years  the breed will
get more and more stable. so, even if it should be an F1 hybrid, as long as
it is fertile at all (very likely) a stable breed true to type can be
selected over the years - only the percentage that is Not true to type will
be Very high in the first few years. (every heirloom started off as an F1
one day in the more or less distant past...)

keep up the good work!

georg