diversity v monoculture and climate change

Michael Yount yount at csf.Colorado.EDU
Thu Mar 6 12:29:50 EST 1997

Megan,

You might try:

Scoones, I., et al., 1996,
Hazards and Opportunities: Farming Livelihoods in Dryland
   Africa - Lessons from Zimbabwe,
London and New Jersey: Zed Books

It goes into detail about the different ways in which
rural people in Zimbabwe coped with the disastrous droughts
in 1991 and '92.  (By "systems" I'm hoping you mean human
communities, too.)

Michael
yount at csf.colorado.edu

 :}
 :}I am trying to research the differences in systems that are diverse
 :}biologically and structurally compared to monocultures in the face of
 :}climate change. If anyone has any ideas or sources I would really
 :}appreciate the input.
 :}I am largely concerned with forest systems but general issues or case
 :}studies would be helpful.
 :}As a means of future management for resources it seems that illustrating
 :}the importance of diversity and variety is a fundamental issue. I hope to
 :}be able to compile some coherent argument for this.
 :}Any input would be great, my email is  mmattox at u.washington.edu
 :}Thanks, Megan
 :}