eleagnus

Linda Felch lfelch at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 11 11:47:35 EDT 1997

Thanks for the info on eleagnus and other useful wild plants, Lawrence.

I didn't notice inyour description of eleagnus any mention of its
nitrogen-fixing properties. I think that's on e of the best reasons for
using it! We ahve several and have used them in guilds as a nitrogen
fixer with heavy feeders on the dripline of the tree.

In a forestry class that I recently took, it was mentioned that eleagnus
is considered an invasive exotic on the order of multiflora rose or
honeysuckle. When questioned about this, the professor indicated that
birds eat the fruit and deposit the seeds elsewhere, so one might not see
the "invasion" happening. Anyone have any further info on the
invasiveness of eleagnus? I've been hesitant to grow more than we already
have if the are indeed invasive.

Linda Felch
lfelch at welchlink.welch.jhu.edu
http://www.welch.jhu.edu/~lfelch/heathcote.html