permaculture guide clarification

Michael Yount yount at csf.colorado.edu
Mon Feb 19 13:51:30 EST 1996

Terry,

The variety of leucaena we're planting is called a
"golden ball lead tree" and is supposedly native
to Texas, although it may have been introduced from
Mexico some time ago.

A quick search of the Internet revealed some
information at http://www.rock.tap.csiro.au/facts/leucext2.html
on the use of Leucaenas.  At this point, I know little
about them except that they're leguminous and nitrogen-fixing.
I'll let you know if my investigations reveal anything more.

Thanks for asking,

Michael
yount at csf.colorado.edu

 :}Hi! I have been trying to find out where Leucaenas originate.
 :}I have a friend here in South Africa who claims that they are the
 :}new wonder tree, But I'm a bit wary of wonder trees in our
 :}sensitive fynbos ecology. The so-called wonder trees imported
 :}from Australia in the 1800's have displaced large tracts of our
 :}indigenous flora. I can find no mention af leucaenas in any of
 :}my tree books. Can you possibly help?
 :}
 :}Terry Wesselink
 :}Cape Town