[pchealth] OT shelf life of dried fish (packaged kind from Asian stores, i.e. anchovies or bonito)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. lflj at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 21 21:56:20 EST 2013

Indulging in my pesco-vegetarian diet I bought several kinds of dried
fish from local Asian grocery stores. These consist of anchovies and
some kind of small white fleshed fish fillets packaged in different
types of plastic bags. When I bought them all were dried but some were
refrigerated and some sold at room temperature.

I know that the Chinese have traditionally been able to dry and store
fish, unrefrigerated, that will be good and safe to eat a decade or more
later [see the old B&W Kung Fu movies]; probably same with Scandinavian
dried fish.

Does anyone know the shelf life of these dried fish or know of a source
of information about this?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.