[pchealth] Granola bread, scone, pone or flatbread.

Frances and David fdnokes at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:57:44 EST 2012

Here is something Dave sent somebody, describing the recipe.
He grinds the flax seed, adds water and acv... the vinegar reaction helps
the rising.
I suggested he add a banana and he found it really worked well.
He has done this recipe with a variety of flours including millet,
buckwheat, and rice.
Maybe a bit of quinoa, too.
And, yes, he does like to have some raisins in it....
(We have been both making and eating nothing but sprouted kamut bread
lately, so it's interesting what lapses from memory...)
Chia seeds may also be ground and used instead of or in addition to flax
seed, if desired.

Frances

Dave's loaf:

{--3 cup flour variation for smaller loaf: 3 cups millet flour, about 2 cups
water-might need more if too dry and stiff,
1 level Tbsp honey, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 and one half Tbsp vinegar, 1 cup
small pieces fruit or maybe a little less banana,
3/4 cup ground flax seed, one pinch salt handful raisins.}

Wet Ingredients--mix into a bowl:
2 1/2 cups water
1 heaping tbsp honey (one of your larger spoons--probably a soup spoon)
2 Tbsp (soup spoons) or so(could be 2 and 1/2 soup spoons--but a little
extra couldn't hurt)apple cider vinegar It's kind of an approximate measure.
1 mashed banana--fairly ripe, some brown on it--or any fruit in small
pieces, say about a cup to a cup and a half
  gradually stir in 1 cup of ground flax seed(it doesn't have to be
perfectly smooth)

Dry Ingredients--mix into a separate bowl:
4 and one half cups millet flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 or 2 pinches of salt (optional)
handful of raisins

Mix wet and dry mixtures together in whichever is a larger bowl
The mixture will be a bit too dry to perfectly mix, so I gradually added
more water in till I could mix all the dry into the wet. It turned out to be
about 1/2 cup. You might need more or less sometimes.
Put in a frying pan or shallow rectangular or round pan with parchment paper
for the bottom only--if  the parchment paper goes up the sides of the pan,
it tends to dig into the sides of the loaf, and you have to carefully dig
out the edges from the sides before peeling the parchment paper off after
baking.
Put into pan(parchment paper in bottom) and place in 350 degree oven for
about 30 minutes. Then check the top, if not a deep golden colour, leave in
till it is. Maybe check every 5 or so minutes for this.  It should
definitely be a golden colour across the whole top of the loaf. Another test
is to push down gently with a finger on the top, and if it resists and
bounces back immediately, then it's done. You've probably done plenty of
baking and know about this kind of thing. Then, take it out of the oven and
run a dull knife around the sides to unstick any edges that are stuck to the
sides of the pan. Empty out the loaf into the other palm(with a oven mitt on
or tea towel folded into quarters). Then carefully peel the parchment
paper--freeing the edges as you go, from the loaf. Flip the loaf back right
side up onto the other hand with an oven mitt on or tea towel folded into
quarters on the palm, turn off the oven and slide the loaf back into the
oven and close the oven door. Important--Leave the loaf in the (oven shut
off) for another 45 minutes to an hour. Once the oven is warm--not hot, open
the oven door a bit, to let the loaf completely cool off, or place on a
drying rack on a counter top or a table top. And presto, it's done!
I make the same kind of loaf with rice flour instead of millet flour, and
use the other flours like quinoa and buckwheat for about 1/4 - 1/3 of total
flour quantity, sometimes without quinoa.One morning I just made a loaf with
rice flour, and buckwheat flour--about 1/4 of the flour being buckwheat, and
I used a mashed cooked apple(doesn't have to be cooked but in small pieces,
but cooked apple tends to keep it's flavour in the loaf) in the wet
ingredients since I didn't have a banana.  I used about 4 1/2 cups of flour,
and I used 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda and about three soup spoons of vinegar.
The basic rule is 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1 tbsp vinegar per 1 and 1/2 cups
of flour used--the ground flax does not enter into the equation.  I had to
bake the loaf at 350 for 45 minutes before it became a fairly solid golden
colour on top.
Once completely cooled down to room temperature, I keep it in a paper bag in
the fridge. Sometimes I wrap it in a tea towel if I can't find a paper bag,
but it may soak up some moisture from the loaf.