[nafex] Niwot Black Raspberry Patent

Jerry Lehman jwlehmantree at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 07:46:57 EDT 2016

On 9/6/2016 6:24 AM, Pete Tallman wrote:
> I am pleased to announce that the U.S. Plant Patent for the 'Niwot' primocane-fruiting black raspberry was issued today as U.S. Plant Patent number PP27,131.  Help from certain NAFEX people was essential to the breeding program.
Good Morning Pete,

Congratulations on achieving the plant patent for Niwot.

We purchased 5 plants last spring and have been very pleased with it. I
am planning to rip out the old raspberry bed of which I don't remember
the original variety and I suspect now is primarily under performing
seedlings. I was under the impression that Niwot would set 2 crops, an
early summer then late fall. Quite frankly it seems to be more ever
bearing than a duel ripening season as we have been picking fruit now
for 60 days with many new clusters forming. Many of the berries are
actually dual (Siamese twin) with one being larger than the other. It is
very vigorous and I need to increase the height of the top trellis wire
to keep the cains off the ground. Presently the top wire is about 5 feet
and I should add another one 2 feet higher.

Again, congratulations and my fruit breeding hat is off to you.

Jerry Lehman