[nafex] winter hardiness question

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 12:37:28 EDT 2016

I've had an apple tree mostly die last winter, and I doubt it will fully recover.  It was growing well, in some of my better soil, a few years old but not yet making fruit, a known hardy variety on a possibly not as hardy rootstock.  I see now it has a vertical crack in the trunk which isn't fresh and I suspect happened in a previous bitter winter.

Isn't this supposed to kill a tree right away?  How many years can a tree last with this damage?  Did it suffer as much damage from the too mild 2015-16 winter?

Tanis Cuff, s WI, deerflies and ticks and mosquitos all active but I still have a lot of work to do