[nafex] rooting from storage callus

Jerry Lehman jwlehmantree at gmail.com
Sat May 21 11:25:40 EDT 2016

On 5/21/2016 12:12 AM, fuwa fuwa usagi wrote:
> It depends a great, great deal on the variety.  Milam roots easily from cuttings.
>
> Some rootstocks also root very easily.  M27 for example.  The rootstock itself will root where it touches the ground and along the length of the stem is you bury it.  And callous pieces root about as well as black currant cuttings.
>
> If you are going to do this, I would consider watering with willow water.  Not sure if it a bunch of woo, but it seems to work miracles for me.  But then I am a statistical singleton.
>
> Regards...
>
> tfb
>

> As I do my grafting I notice that some of the scionwood has formed a
> nice ring of callus tissue at the bottom.  If I were to pot these for
> rooting, would they grow?  If so, how many growing seasons until they
> make trees suitable for planting out?
The fluffy one is right. Please permit me to add my $.02 worth.

You didn't say the species of your wood which makes a huge difference.
But the observation that I'd like to throw in is if you're scion wood
calloused you may be storing it too warm. Also forming callus takes
energy out of the scion wood and in all likelihood will reduce the
amount of successes you will have grafting it. Store your scion wood as
close to 32 as you can get your storage unit, I suspect your
refrigerator is set at about 45°, which is too warm. Just checked the
temperature gauge in my refrigerator a few days back and it said 28° .
The water jugs I keep in there to reduce the cycle times was not frozen,
however frost does often form in my bags of scion wood and I've not seen
any indication that it hurts the scions.

Jerry Lehman