[nafex] [ARTICLES] Honeycrisp discussions in media

Jerry Lehman jwlehmantree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:49:20 EST 2015

On 11/6/2015 1:22 AM, dwoodard at becon.org wrote:
> My impression as an eater is that the location of growing and the time
> of picking make a difference.
> One batch had a very nice slightly spicy flavour; usually the flavour
> is pleasant but the texture is the main attraction. The texture though
> seems to me slightly inferior to Macoun.
>
> Doug Woodard
Doug etl.,

I'm not an Apple expert but location and time of picking can make a huge
difference. Time and temperature in storage and length of storage will
change apple taste and texture.

And not everyone's preference of texture is the same. I had a variety
"Fall Gold" purchased from Stark Brothers Nursery some years back which
my son thoroughly liked. It was very crisp, cracked like a small
firecracker when you took a bite out of it and juicy with a bland
flavor, I did not care for it in the slightest. Mutsu tends to be on the
soft side, sweet and very flavorful which is one of my favorites and he
didn't care for it at all because it isn't real crisp. Primary for my
son is texture, for myself is taste. Texture and taste are subjective.

Jerry