[nafex] Cherry Grafts

Peter Chrisbacher pxbacher at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:56:38 EDT 2015

A few weeks ago I emailed the group that I'd grafted some cherry scions on
a back yard Pin Cherry (which I'd previously thought was a choke cherry).

Yesterday I noticed that the branch I'd grafted onto seems to be having
significant issues; some side branches are failing to leaf out, and others
are partly leafing out, but not looking very healthy.

It occurred to me that the cause of these issues might be 1) That branch
had issues prior to my grafting onto it, or 2) My grafting onto that branch
caused its issues (virus? some other impact?)

Has anyone seen anything similar with cherry grafts?  Is it more likely the
branch just had issues?  It seemed reasonably healthy last year, and I
don't *think" I took so much off that it would have caused such a
significant impact to the rest of the branch, though I could be wrong (I've
not tried top working a tree like this before). How likely is it the scions
carried some type of disease that is now moving through the tree?

Thanks

Pete Chrisbacher
Wilmington, DE