[nafex] Pawpaw question and jujube observation

Louis Pittman lpittman at murraystate.edu
Wed Aug 19 07:39:54 EDT 2015

The late John Gordon once opined that if he were 30 years younger, he'd
have just planted seed of select pawpaw varieties, selected those seedlings
with the largest leaves, and possibly not have bothered with grafted
selections.

In my limited experience, most, if not all of the container-grown grafted(I
grafted them) pawpaws that I transplanted to permanent locations exhibited
decline of the scion variety over 2-3 years, reverting back to just the
seedling understock.  Perhaps that was due to my lack of attention - I know
if I left a grafted persimmon alone for the first year or two, it wouldn't
be there.
But... I've got several multi-variety pawpaws that were grafted onto after
they were well-established, and have not experienced cultivar decline or
overpowering by the (named-parentage) seedling understock.

Lucky