[nafex] [ARTICLE] Crunch: Modern apple growing; the club

Matt Demmon mdemmon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 06:54:45 EST 2014

Thanks for this article, more well written than most fruit articles in the
mainstream press.

This caught my eye:

"Minnesota growers who did not wish to join were allowed to plant up to a
thousand trees—subsequently increased to three thousand—but could sell the
apples only at farmers’ markets, local grocery stores, and farm stands.
Only Next Big Thing was entitled to sell the apples commercially—i.e., to
wholesalers and grocers."

I did not realize that managed varieties could be grown by some farmers but
not wholesaled. Is this common with managed varieties? That makes the whole
thing much more palatable to me. In fact, I feel great about managed
varieties now! I liked a lot about it, but it felt too restrictive, that
parts of the public who technically funded some of this research were not
allowed to enjoy the fruits, if you will.

-matt
z5 se MI