[nafex] Future of Walnut

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Jun 21 07:28:09 EDT 2014

In a message dated 6/20/2014 11:13:40 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
goatdoc at ctitech.com writes:

With the  advent of thousand cankers disease will walnut go the way of
American chestnut  and ash? It seems most similar to Ash in that an insect is
involved and an  insecticide can
be injected and might become cost effective for timber but  unlikely for
nuts, Are the adjoining states doing anything  special.
Keith
Hello Keith,

I forwarded your question to Jim McKenna, Operational Tree Breeder, USDA -
Forest Service, HTIRC - Purdue University. Jim is helping research TCD. He
is also the Editor for the Indiana Nut & Fruit Growers Assoc.

Here is his answer:
"For nut production, you can earn income to cover  spraying each year.
Timber is not economical to spray.

Second, the TCD is native to north America, not exotic  like chestnut
blight and Dutch elm disease.

Because the disease is native, we have already  determined that black
walnut varies in reaction. Thus, resistant trees exist and  will be naturally
selected for.

Last, this disease is spotty and fluctuates year to  year. It does not look
like it can actually wipe out whole stands or  regions."