[nafex] Winter damage

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 21:15:26 EDT 2014

East of MB, I had plenty of snow over during the coldest weather.  Worried a little about some M7 whips in a raised-bed nusery, because some were killed by less cold in another winter with less snow.  Some of these leafed out slowly as if they'd lost some roots.  Occasional dead twigs on a few apple trees, almost no flowers on an old pear which was full last year, nothing much to complain about.  But, I haven't tried much to test cultivar hardiness.

I suspect this sandy soil area lost more to 2 drought summers than to a cold snowy winter.

TC, s.WI, trying to finish my grafting but running way late, will report results.

On Thu, May 29, 2014 10:05 AM CDT Judson Frisk wrote:

>In SW Iowa, we lost our Magnolia tree, our 35 year old grapes, blueberries, lingonberries, black raspberries, and our pawpaw.  I loved the pawpaw but don't know if I am going to plant another.  We had bitter cold with no snow cover.  The frost went deeper than it has in years.  Still curious what was the trigger to kill these varieties.  My apricots did have a light bloom and the apples had a heavy bloom.  Judson L. Frisk zone 5?

 appear to have noticed the cold, but they also didn't bloom much (half dozen flowers, maybe).  Admittedly one of them was severely pruned by the deer.Muffy BarrettSouth-central Wisconsin