[nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?

Barry Nichols bnichols at ecotechinc.com
Mon Feb 24 08:33:30 EST 2014

Cats are indiscriminate predators that kill millions of non-target animals in the US each year alone.  These include the overwhelming majority on an orchard that are highly beneficial.  I would not trade those species who help keep pest populations in check just in the hopes of targeting a couple of other species.  I can do the same by encouraging day and night-hunting raptors without the same amount of collateral damage.  Nest boxes, roosts, and a rethinking of orchard maintenance/planning would go a long way towards enabling/assisting those animals which are already present and not disruptive of the system around your orchards.