[nafex] Keeping apples

anton ptak antonptak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 12:18:27 EST 2014

Steve - interesting.  We kept several sealed buckets of a few varieties
in a friend's commercial cooler.  Unfortunately we hadn't aired the
buckets out enough, so two varieties we ended up processing soon into
chutney due to the pickle flavor being a little too pronounced.

To your point, though - our (non-pickle scented) sealed buckets of
Liberty retained their texture marvelously, though it tasted as though
they were slowly fermenting.  They got to the point around the end of
the year where it was hard to eat them because they were so wine-y.
Their texture was great though.  The other Liberties we stored in open
boxes got somewhat shriveled and were much softer, but tasted like I
think they should have.  It seemed that the buckets were sealed air
tight but I cannot say for sure.  They did have rubber gaskets and very
tight fitting lids that are meant to not leak liquid.

I do have plans to finally put our root cellar into service (with
ventilation) for next year.

Anton Ptak
zone 4a W. Wisconsin