[nafex] Lori, Wild Black Cherry

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 07:20:45 EDT 2014

Hello Lori,

That certainly looks like Prunus serotina, Wild Black Cherry. They are all
over Indiana. The book, "101 Trees of Indiana" by Marion T. Jackson lists
it as slightly bitter but eatable. I've tasted many and that description is
accurate. Due to the large seed (percentage of flesh to seed) many must be
gathered to use them. I've been told they make good wine, but am not a wine
 maker.

The leaves are very toxic to live stock and am told can kill them
especially if foliage is in short supply when a tree falls and cattle over feed  on
them. Go ahead make some jam or wine and please report back.

Jerry

PS. ibiblio has cut me off more than once after I sent attached  files. If
you find you send messages and they don't come back nor are  passed through
contact the list manager to get turned back on. You will still be  able to
receive just can't send messages through. Send a test message and  see if it
comes through. Good luck!

In a message dated 8/17/2014 10:50:05 P.M. Eastern  Daylight Time,