[nafex] report of graft success

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 16 13:02:18 EDT 2014

Pear and apple.  I promised a report but shouldn't have.  It was not a great year for comparisons.  The initial success rate wasn't as good as usual. I blame this partly on a dry 2013 which didn't produce great scionwood, & on the hard winter in which I collected scionwood quickly, and on doing the 2014 grafts usually at the ends of busy tiring days.  The most interesting thing was that even those grafts done later in the spring than I've ever done, if they took, they grew as well as the earlier.  Some potted seedlings were kept as a graft demo on June 21, so days were getting shorter by the time the scion buds grew.  But nice growth on these.

Then woodchucks got into one exclusion, and rabbits and deer got into 2 others, saving me from having to find planting sites for much of 2 years of grafts.  Has anyone seen more adventurous wildlife lately?  This is our third dry summer here.  Does that make a difference, even though this isn't as dry as the previous 2?  Woodchucks climbed hardware cloth less than 16"; rabbits ate all fine stems of Amelanchiers.

Also had more meadow-vole damage last winter than expected after those 2 drought summers.  What the heck did they all survive on, when the drought killed even the weeds?!

Tanis Cuff, s.WI