[nafex] Apios

Devin Smith dvidedevo at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 20:19:00 EDT 2014

not quite a fruit topic per se, but I'm sure its pertinent to at least some of you NAFEX'ers. I have long wondered what became of the 40 odd improved strains of Apios americana (groundnut) from the LSU breeding program. Does anyone have any of these improved strains, or know of a source for any of them? The wild ones are so small, its surprising that the larger improved forms have not been more widely disseminated. From the pictures I have seen, it seems that yield and harvestibility are dramatically improved. I'd love to be growing some, but despite years of haphazardly searching, haven't turned up a source. It sounds like some of the LSU varieties are not suited to northern regions, while others may be. Anyone have info to share?
thanks,
Devin Smith
Witness Oak Polycultures
Rockingham. VT