[nafex] Crab apple disease resistance

sherwin sherwindu at att.net
Tue Apr 8 21:37:34 EDT 2014

    In my limited experience, I have never tasted a sweet crab apple,
but evidently they do
    exist.  The people I know who grow them, use them for canning or
cider, not for eating
    off the tree.  The crab apples I have seen have thick tough skins,
but again I have not
    seen all cultivars of this fruit.

    Among the dozen or so apple varieties I grow, it seems like the bugs
prefer the sweeter
    apples.  They also avoid some of the tougher skinned varieties like
Spigold.  These are
    just some of my limited observations, and I realize there could be
exceptions to what
    I have experienced.  I don't grow them, but several members of my
club Midfex do. and
    I have tasted many of  them.

                            Sherwin Dubren