[nafex] how to keep squirrels of trees

Harold F. Turnbull hfturnbull at csupomona.edu
Tue Nov 26 21:00:07 EST 2013

Peanut butter + plaster of Paris?  Definitely won't work.  But this recipe definitely will:  peanut butter + plaster of Paris + a teaspoon or two of crystalline sodium or potassium cyanide.  (You can omit the plaster of Paris, it's the cyanide that does the trick -- think California gas chamber).  I don't really recommend this method, cyanide is very nasty stuff, and hard to come by if you don't have the lab credentials.  But it will do the job.  I agree with the person who suggested population control.  Trap the little 'effers in a "Have-a-Heart" type trap (I use dog food kibble for bait), and release them down the street on your neighbor's property.  I have witnessed a colony of squirrels completely strip a heavily burdened plum tree in just a few hours. They like to pick them a few days before I think they are ready,  so, I get zero.   After applying my trusty "Squirrelinator" trap, however (catching as many as six at a time), my next season's yield was so huge, even my midnight deliveries on my neighbors' porch couldn't get rid of them all.  Now, if I could only figure out a way to keep just a few squirrels around to eat the surplus I would be happy to share with them.