[nafex] My plan to move a pawpaw root sucker

Elizabeth Hilborn ehilborn at mebtel.net
Sat Jun 29 15:22:45 EDT 2013

I have a very vigorous 1 foot high root sucker in my pawpaw bed. My plan
is to wait until leaf drop, cut all lateral roots with a sharp shovel
about 1 foot from the stem. Then after leaf drop in fall 2014, lift the
root ball out, capturing as much tap root as I can manage and transplant
it to its new location.

What do folks think of my plan? Does anyone have experience
transplanting root suckers? I would love input as I do have to eliminate
this plant in its current location, and I would like to use it.

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn
7a NC Where all the fruit tastes watery because of our abundant rains