[nafex] Keeping rabbits out of garden: Digest, Vol 125, Issue 8

Geoffrey Tolle Gtolle0709 at wowway.com
Thu Jun 13 01:00:18 EDT 2013

Folks:

      Regarding young trees and rabbits. I have found that tomato cages
work quite well if you don't have too many trees and you have plenty of
cages. You wouldn't think that the wide spacing of the cages would deter
them but it does. My best guess is based on rabbit behavior. First of
all, they have to raise up to nibble off the top of the sapling (which
they seem to prefer to do. The bars of the tomato cage tend to be in the
way. Second, they are constantly raising their heads to check for
danger. I don't think that they like to be in situations where they
can't raise their heads. I can't guarantee that this will work but it
seems to be 100% with my city-bred rabbits.

                                         Geoffrey Tolle