[nafex] Are Hicans Edible?

Louis Pittman lpittman at murraystate.edu
Sun Jun 9 22:11:34 EDT 2013

Hicans are edible.
Not much harder to crack and extract than pecans.  Flavor intermediate
between the two parent species.

You either need better hickories or a better nutcracker.
There are shagbark and shellbark hickories that - despite having a hard
shell - will crack out as mostly intact halves or quarters.
Crushing and boiling is fine for making hickory syrup - but, unless you're
dealing with mockernut hickory, youshould be able to extract some usable
nutmeats from even the worst shagbark/shellbark.

Lucky