[nafex] Filberts

Michael Dossett phainopepla at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 17:10:52 EDT 2013

Lee,

I suppose this isn't terribly surprising.  In Oregon, 'Jefferson' and others with the resistance gene from 'Gasaway' may develop small cankers but these generally don't have stroma and inevitably heal over in 2-3 years.  Any single dominant resistance gene is susceptible to breakdown, and it is likely that the strain(s) of the fungus on the west coast are from one or a very few isolates, whereas there would be much more pathogen diversity and be much more likely that this single-gene resistance would have already broken down where the pathogen is endemic.  In this case, you are probably better off planting varieties such as 'Sacajawea' (http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/20485/em8914-e.pdf) which have a high level of quantitative resistance.  This type of resistance is much more durable (you will get some disease when there is heavy pressure, but it should be very manageable), and I personally think that 'Sacajawea' has
 better flavor also.

I should also mention that anyone thinking of trying these should make sure they also have a second compatible variety for pollination.

Michael

Michael Dossett
Mission, British Columbia
www.Mdossettphoto.com